Joshua Brooks, Fuel and Hardy’s Well all failed to meet basic hygiene standards

They were all given a rating of one by inspectors

Almost 30 pubs and bars across Manchester have been awarded only one out of five for their basic hygiene rating, including some of our local favourites.

Some popular places across Manchester have been given a ‘one’ food hygiene rating by the Food Standards Agency following recent visits from council officers.

The list of 27 pubs and bars includes Hardy’s Well on the edge of Curry Mile, the vegetarian restaurant Fuel in Withington, Joshua Brooks and Whiskey Jar in town.

The Food Standard Agency scale goes from zero to five, with five being the most hygienic. Inspectors from the local council assess the establishment by looking at the handling, preparation, storage and cooking of food as well as checking the the cleanliness and condition of the building.

Joshua Brooks was awarded a one for their basic hygiene rating on October 9 2015. A spokesman told MEN : “We are waiting for someone to pop in to re-inspect. We highlighted the score a couple of weeks after and sorted the issues quickly. We’re more than happy now. A lot of the issues were structural stuff, sockets and issues with satellites. We’re confident the problems are sorted now.”

Fuel on Wilmslow Road was also awarded a one on the FSA scale at its most recent inspection in September 2015.

Hardy’s Well was last inspected in February 2016 and given just one by the inspectors. A manager was not available for comment.