I’m in my fourth year at Manchester, and I’m a Miss Universe finalist

It’s quite hectic

As a final year student studying Chinese and Business & Management things can get a little hectic, even more so when you’re a finalist in the Miss Universe Great Britain 2016 beauty pageant.

This may come as a shock to many of my family and friends. I have never been a model or even a beauty pageant contestant, nor have I even hinted that I was going to enter Miss Universe GB. It’s safe to say for them this has come totally out of the blue.

So, how and why did I enter the pageant? Well, it simply started with an application on the website. After going back and forth, struggling to build up enough confidence to apply I finally plucked up the courage to do so and put my application forward.I entered in the hope that I will win (obviously) and be able to use my voice and experiences to guide me in truly empowering women and young girls all over the world.

I want them to love themselves for who they are, to remind them that we are all beautifully and wonderfully made. It’s so important that we firmly believe it, even in the face of the adversities we experience as women and the flawed beauty standards that our societies place on us.

Wearing Belmont Designs

Another motivating factor was the fact that the winner of Miss Universe Great Britain will get to visit India to support the amazing Sheroes Hangout initiative, which helps women who have been the victim of acid attacks. Something I would really love to be part of.

It’s definitely been challenging balancing my final year uni work, activities and deadlines, as well as finding sponsors, going to the gym (at least trying to) and preparing myself mentally for the competition. I’ve been through MANY ups and downs in the past few months.

Looking at past winners of MUGB initially knocked my confidence big time, as I look nothing like them. But I’ve learnt to get up each time and snap out of the thoughts of self doubt, and as the days go by I become more and more confident. I’m now sure in myself that I do deserve my place in the finals and indeed have a shot at winning the crown to represent Great Britain. I want to show the Universe that I too “am confidently beautiful with a heart”, as said by Miss Universe 2015 Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach.

Lastly, I would like to say it is an honour and a privilege to have been selected to be a finalist in the Miss Universe GB pageant, I am truly humbled. I want to say a big thank you to the National Director Paula Abbandonato for giving me this opportunity.

I will be doing all that I can in the next few months to prepare for the contest. Miss Universe is one of the biggest pageants in the world, so I can imagine that it most certainly will be a huge adventure that I will be sharing with you all!

The finals (from 21-23 July) will be a three-day event including an empowerment day lead by one of the UK’s foremost leadership coaches, a celebration dinner with friends and family and a catwalk show before a panel of judges from the beauty and fashion industry.

The UK have never the won Miss Universe pageant, so it would be amazing to make history and win the competition.

To Miss Universe 2015 Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach, I’m coming for your crown!

www.missuniversegb.co.uk