Plans for £1bn revamp of Piccadilly Station revealed

They want to make Piccadilly better than Kings Cross

Plans have been put forward to ministers for a radical expansion of Piccadilly station, potentially costing up to £1.6bn

It could be a while before Manchester is free from transport delays as a proposal outlining a radical renovation of Piccadilly station has been revealed. The expansion would include a new coach terminus, a Metrolink, HS2, new underground platforms and new shops.

New platforms would be built underground the station for high-speed links to other northern cities like Leeds and a ‘grand arcade’ would be built to link to the current footprint with new HS2 platforms.

Both Chorlton Street coach station and the current tram stop would be moved and Fairfield Street would be permanently closed to traffic.

The drastic proposals are part of a background paper drawn up Arup, a consultancy hired by the National Infrastructure Commission, to put forward to George Osbourne on the future of Northern transport.

The Northern Infrastructure Commission admits however that not all of these proposals will necessarily be taken up, and George Osbourne is yet to give any indication of his thoughts on the proposals.

The plan, should it go through, is to have the station fully transformed within the next decade.