Over a thousand people given second strike for possession of Weed or Khat in Manchester

Most are first time drugs possessors

In 2015, over 1,300 people in Greater Manchester received their very first “second strike” for possession of the class B drug, Cannabis, and class C drug, Khat.

There is a three strike principle in place for possession of drugs.

The Greater Manchester Police gave out 1,224 drug possession warnings and 145 penalty notices for drugs offences last year.

The majority of the strikes were given for possession of weed and possession of khat, a plant, of which the leaves are chewed as a stimulant.

For both these drugs, the police gives a first warning, then warrants a second notice, and impose a charge on a person caught for the third time of possession.

In addition to this, there were 107 cases in Greater Manchester where a person was sent to prison possession of drugs, with a total of 5,361 drug offences alone in 2015.

You can receive life imprisonment for the production or possession of a class A drug, but the police say the class B and C charges can be escalated to this if necessary.