UoM’s beloved Whitworth gallery takes the gold at VisitEngland Awards

It came first for excellence in the large visitor attraction cattegory

The Whitworth Gallery, home to some of Manchester’s best art, has won the gold at the VisitEngland Awards for Excellence in the large visitor attraction category

The ‘gallery in the park’, which was reopened a year ago after a £15 million transformation, beat a range of renowned visitor attractions such as Chester Zoo to gain the title.

The Whitworth is one of Manchester’s best tourist attractions

In 2014, the gallery had closed its doors to undergo it’s largest renovation in 125 years. It doubled in size, with a new glass wing overlooking Whitworth Park proving to be visitor magnet. As a result of the makeover, the Whitworth has experienced record-breaking visitor figures.

Gallery Director Maria Balshaw said: “It has been a momentous period for the gallery – and winning this award, one of several now, is again a wonderful way to say thank you to all those who made it possible.
“It has been a momentous period for the gallery – and winning this award, one of several now, is again a wonderful way to say thank you to all those who made it possible.”

Being a prestigious accolade for over 25 years, VisitEngland Awards for Excellence are firmly established as representing the highest honour in British Tourism. The Awards recognise excellence and celebrate the very best in quality and innovation.

Much of the art displayed on the Whitworth are comments on society

Sally Balcombe, CEO of VisitBritain and VisitEngland, said: “These awards are the highest accolade in the industry, recognising the world class tourism experiences that can be found throughout England. The Gold Award winners are the standard bearers for English tourism.”

Tourism Minister David Evennett said: “These awards highlight the huge talent we have, and the fantastic contribution winners and nominees have made to the sector, and I congratulate them all.”