Former UoM IT professional stabbed in San Francisco robbery

His injuries are described as ‘life-threatening’

Paul Tam, a former website manager at the University of Manchester, is fighting for his life after he was stabbed in the head during a street robbery in San Francisco.

The respected IT professional from Manchester had only recently moved to California to pursue his career in the states and now is currently fighting for his life in San Francisco General hospital.

Mr Tam, a well respected member of the University of Manchester, had been working in the IT department for around 10 years including the role as Web Content and Digital Marketing Manager. According to his LinkedIn profile, Mr Tam left the UK around Christmas to work in America on a freelance basis.

The attack occurred on Friday night, when the 44-year-old was walking in Japantown central San Francisco with his niece.

Tam was set upon by a man and a woman who viciously attacked him in attempt steal his green-coloured bag. As he struggled to retain his bag, which contained his passport, money, phone and bank cards, he was stabbed in the head.

According to reports in San Francisco, the attacker chased Mr Tam before he was stabbed in a subsequent struggle.

Local police said Mr Tam’s niece, who had traveled from southern California to visit him, had not been hurt during the attack.

In an update released yesterday the San Francisco Police Department called the attack “severe” and described his injuries as “life-threatening”. A spokesman went on to confirm that the victim was from Manchester and that his condition in hospital remained critical.

Although police believe they may have found a scarf that belonged to the woman, which is now being tested for DNA, there have been no arrests as of yet.

Police remain hopeful that the attack may have been captured on surrounding CCTV cameras.

Local police are now searching for the culprits and they have released the following description of the attackers. Male thought to be in his thirties, described as a muscular black man about 5ft 10ins tall. The woman, about 5ft 4ins tall, is said to be younger and also black with dreadlocks or braids in a ponytail.

Mr Tam’s family are currently being supported, as a spokesman from the UK Foreign Office confirmed: “We are in contact with the family of a British national who is in hospital in San Francisco and will continue to offer support at this difficult time.”