Manchester students will be delivering free tampons to homeless women

‘Everyone who’s ever experienced a period knows the grim reality of them’

Students from the University of Manchester are launching a campaign which aims to provide the female homeless community with sanitary products.

The campaign, called Time of the Month Manchester, aims to launch in line with Reclaim the Night on the 25th of February.

They plan to have a donation collection set up in the last week of every month all around campus, with two permanent collection bins which will remain in situ all year round.

The scheme intends to collect donations of tampons, new underwear, baby wipes and sanitary pads, and to also create a safe space for women to go during these times.

This is following parliament’s decision to continue taxation on sanitary products, branding them luxury items.

Jodie Lousie Connor, the student behind the campaign, said: “This daunting thought is what opened my eyes to the women living on the streets, no money for food, drink or shelter, let alone any money for sanitary products.

“The majority of us are disgusted with the fact that these ‘luxury’ items are taxed and feel like we are being punished for being on our period, why should we have to pay?

“Well what about the women who can’t? The women who cannot maintain their dignity when on their period whilst living on the streets. Are they supposed to steal tampons and pads? Are they supposed to write ‘tampons please?’ on a piece of cardboard and hold it up for all to see?”

This is an amazing opportunity to spread awareness, not only for those who are less fortunate, but for the necessity of sanitary products.

Anyone wishing to get involved can email her on [email protected].