Police patrols stepped up after attempted rape near Man Met

She was on her way home from work

Police have increased patrols following the attack of a 19-year-old woman near All Saints Park, by Man Met, on Oxford Road at around 5.30am on Saturday morning.

The victim was reportedly grabbed from behind near several University buildings on her way home from the city centre, and the attacker attempted to rape her after a struggle between the two of them.

Luckily, the victim was able to run away from him after a disturbance, allowing her to escape.

A CCTV image released by the Police

Police have responded vigilantly to the incident with a greater number of patrols, and have released CCTV images of a man they wish to speak to in regards to the attack.

Speaking to MEN, Inspector Andy Smith said: “I recognise the concern this incident may cause due to its proximity to the universities but I would like to provide reassurance. We have increased police patrols in the area, and the victim is being supported by specially trained officers.

“We work very closely with our partners, including the universities and student unions, to improve student safety and to ensure the appropriate support is available to victims of crime.

“This important work will continue and all members of the community should be able to live their lives without fear of this type of crime.”

Third year Lauren told The Tab: “It’s never okay to hear these disgusting reports, but I’m so impressed with how quickly the police have responded, it’s great to see they’re really trying to protect us.”

Anyone with info on the incident should call the Police on 0161 856 1911 or Crimestoppers, on 0800 555 111.