Third year left unconscious after attack outside the Friendship

Three people have been arrested

A couple were attacked outside the Friendship Inn on Wilmslow Road last night.

A 22-year-old Geographer and his 21-year-old girlfriend were outside the Friendship crossing Wilmslow Road at 2.30am when a white Vauxhall Corsa stopped by them.

Soon after, an argument broke out between the couple and the car’s driver and passengers, prompting a man to get out of the car.


He approached the couple and punched the girl, also a third year, in the head before attacking her boyfriend as he tried to defend her.

The attacker was then joined by another man from the car.

They punched and stamped on the man until he was unconscious.

Leaving him on the floor on Wilmslow Road, the pair got back into the waiting car and drove off.

The man now remains in a stable, but serious condition at Salford Royal Hospital where he was diagnosed with a bleed to the brain.

The police have taken three suspects into custody, arresting two men, aged 23 and 24 on suspicion of assault, and a  25-year-old woman on suspicion of assisting an offender.

Detective Inspector Adrian Gallagher said: “This is a serious and seemingly unprovoked attack which has left a young man fighting for his life and his girlfriend with head injuries.

“The ferocity of this assault is truly shocking and it is paramount that we bring the thugs who carried out this attack to justice.

“There were people around at this time, as this was in a busy student area, and it is critical that anyone who may have witnessed the attack comes forward to assist our investigation.

“If you saw the attackers, or the car they were driving, please do not hesitate to call the police.”

Third year Rhomey saw the scene on the way back from a night out, she told The Tab: “We were just going to Chicken King after being at a house party and there was police tape all around the crossing by the Friendship.

“It looked pretty serious and there were still police vans parked all around it.”