Controversial Free Speech Society event completely cancelled

Julie Bindel and Milo Yiannopoulos were banned from the event this week

The Free Speech and Secular Society have cancelled their infamous event until further notice.

The event was still meant to be going ahead, despite both speakers being banned.

But today the society have announced: “The event won’t be happening on Thursday. It’s on hold until we get the ban lifted.”

The petition started by the president of the society

The society was planning to hold the event, named “From liberation to censorship: Does modern feminism have a problem with free speech” this Thursday.

The event had already sparked controversy as SU banned Julie Bindel from speaking at it, saying her views were  “dangerous for transpeople and dangerous for feminist and liberation movements in general”.

The SU also banned second speaker Milo Yiannopoulos, calling him a “rape apologist” and said that he “repeatedly uses derogatory language when describing members of the trans community.”

The exec team said this breached the SU “safe space policy” and that these views could “incite hatred.”

Milo Yiannopoulos was banned by SU

The Free Speech society had also started a petition against the ban, before it was announced that the event had been put “on hold”.