Tributes pour in for Manchester student Teygan Sugrue who died of meningitis

Student who lived in the tower will be sadly missed

Over the weekend, University of Manchester student Teygan Sugrue sadly passed away, after contracting meningitis.

Now, tributes from friends and fellow students have been flooding in after the Russian with Economics student’s shock death.

A first year student, living on Teygan’s floor had tears in their eyes as they said: “I cannot believe it, it’s so sad.

“He had been fine that week then suddenly became so ill.”

Another said “Everyone is just in massive shock.”

One first year described the situation as “Horrible. It’s an utter waste, he was so young.”

Many students are taking to social media to pay tribute to Teygan.

Teygan’s sister Katie Sarah Sugrue, posted a long Facebook tribute status: “This is most likely the hardest and most upsetting status I’ll ever have to write, but it is my deepest regret to announce that my brother Teygan passed away last night due to suspected Meningococcal Septicaemia (Meningitis).”

She then went on to post details on the signs and symptoms of meningitis and what to do if you think you have contracted it; not wanting any others to face the illness.

Other students have mourned Teygan’s death on Facebook and Twitter.

https://twitter.com/SankofaMind/status/529992472567775232

Dr Westlake, director for the Student Experience, released the following statement: “It is with sadness that I must inform you of the death of one of our students from probable meningitis over the past weekend.

“Our thoughts are with his family. Following advice from Public Health England, students living at Owens Park Tower have received guidance from Occupational Health.

“They are not at increased risk of infection. In line with public health guidance concerning probable meningitis, a small number of students who have been in very close contact have been identified and offered antibiotics as a precautionary measure.”

Residents at Owen’s Park are now making sure they receive their booster jab, many are paranoid that they too could contract meningitis.

Lots students are talking about the tragedy, some have said they wish to leave flowers to show their condolences. It is believed that Teygan’s dorm mates wish to write an obituary out of respect to their friend.

Rest in peace, Teygan Sugrue. Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this difficult time.