Tragic blaze claims the lives of over 60 animals in manchester dogs home

Millions donated after ‘overwhelming’ response

Animals arson dogs home fire Manchester

Millions of pounds has been raised after more than 60 dogs were killed in a fire at Manchester dogs home with the death toll expected to rise.

The incident took place on Thursday night at the home on Moss Brooke Road. Although 150 were lucky enough to be rescued, the deaths have shaken a nation of animal lovers.

A 15-year-old boy has been arrested in connection with the fire on suspicion of arson. 

The outstanding amount of generosity the home has received from the public gives a silver lining to the tragic event. In just twenty four hours from the blaze a whopping 1 million pounds had already been donated, with even more on the way.

Neil Jones, Detective Inspector of Manchester Police said: “The response from the public has been overwhelming, and this is clearly an incident that has tugged on the heart strings of many.

“We are determined to establish exactly how and why this fire started and will be working closely with our partners from the fire service.”

The lucky survivors have been moved to a sister facility in Cheshire and will benefit hugely from the donations.

Lisa Graham, manger of the dogs home, has thanked the country by saying that the amount received has been “phenomenal” and “it means an enormous amount to us”.

A JustGiving account set up by the Manchester evening news is where donations can be given and every penny counts as the home costs over £100,000 to run every month.