Manchester Uni research reveals White British are less qualified than ethnic minorities

White British adults are less likely to boast a degree than ethnic minority adults

Manchester Uni research shows that ethnic minority adults are more likely to be educated to degree level than their White British counterparts.

UoM’s Centre on Dynamics and Ethnicity Data found that Chinese adults are most likely to have a degree – with 43% of Chinese adults being educated to degree level.

Indian and Black African adults followed closely behind with 42 and 40% holding a degree, respectively.

learning commons: where people who actually want to get their degree hang out!

And shockingly almost 1 in 4 white British adults have no qualifications. Black African adults were far more likely to be educated –  only 11% of Black African adults hold no qualifications.

The research, based on the 2011 census, show how university is becoming more and more accessible – so it’s good news for future students.

And the changes are even more promising for women. Kitty Lymperopoulou of Manchester Uni said:

“Over the last twenty years, educational attainment has been increasing among ethnic groups as a result of an improvement in access to education overseas and the increasing proportion of ethnic minority people educated in Britain.

Ethnic minorities are more likely to be educated to degree level

But it’s not all good news. She also said:

“Though this is good news for ethnic minorities, we need to remember that despite achievement gaps between some ethnic groups and White British people narrowing or even disappearing, ethnic minority groups continue to experience inequalities in education and the labour market.”

The study also showed that some groups remain worse off – 60% of White Gypsy/Irish Travellers had no qualifications in 2011.