What type of Tab commenter are you?

We’ve scoured through the comments on our famous journalism and found that there are five types of Tab commenters who consistently pop up

Oscar Wilde: “Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth.”

Since writing for The Tab I have become more and more exposed to the online world of trolls and comments. Of course, everybody is entitled to their own opinion, so let’s have a look at how people can use, misuse and abuse this right when it comes to Tab commentary.

Friendly

For a writer, there is little more that can please you than a friendly bit of praise for something you have written. For one thing, it gives you confirmation that someone has actually read it (which is, after all, the general idea). But for someone to actually give affirmative feedback on an article is just great. If you happen to be one of these kind-hearted, warm-blooded, positive-minded people then I not only offer you my gratitude but also my encouragement. The Tab needs people like you (we really do) so keep on liking, sharing and showering us with praise.

Thanks Eryl

<3

Jealous

Although any commenter who would fall into this category would outright deny it, the jealous tone can be detected a mile off. These commenters often flock to the fashion features bombarding both author and model with their bitter rebukes. Their hostile observations on the unsuspecting writer’s choice of ‘campus style’ do nothing but enable others to scroll down the page a bit further as they may get a read, but certainly no regard. If you want to be in The Tab, just ask.

Wish you’d made the cut?

Constructively critical

It may be positive or it may be negative – either way it’s just. The fairest of them all would probably have to be this group of diplomats who are not afraid to speak their mind if they disagree with you. That said, they go about this in the most civil of ways, offering both writer and reader an alternative way of looking at the subject at hand. Rarely offensive, this group enjoys playing devil’s advocate by fronting the other side of the argument and going about it in a cordial manner, void of malice.

So much balance

Abusive

These guys need to chill on their unwanted, unhelpful and unproductive remarks (or in some cases essays). On writing my first article for The Tab I was quickly introduced to the online world of abusive comments. It’s one thing to have an opinion on something, but it’s another thing entirely to call an innocent journalist a ‘cunt’ for writing about a bloody Bus Company closing down. (In case you haven’t guessed, I’m the cunt). Then again, to quote the great Oscar Wilde for a second time: “there is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.”

Cheers

Denial

These buffoons seem to feel the need to comment on the futility of The Tab and how the article they have just read is not worth reading. But, of course, they keep on reading the articles and alas, they keep on commenting on how it is pointless and not worth it. Think it through guys, if you’re going to keep on commenting on how you shouldn’t have read the awful articles we post – then, just a thought, maybe don’t read them.

WHP is that you?

Chill mate

Yes