Angelina Jolie has just been appointed as a lecturer at LSE

She will be teaching a new MSc on women, peace and security

In 2017, Angelina Jolie will commence her role as a visiting professor at LSE, in a new Masters of Science course regarding the impacts of war on women. LSE says this is “the first of its kind in the world”.

The course will work on “strategies to promote gender equality and enhance women’s economic, social and political participation and security”. Her role will include giving lectures, holding seminars, attending workshops and carrying out her own research on the subject.

Jolie at the Global Summit in 2014

Jolie at the Global Summit in 2014

LSE said the title is given to people “who have appropriate distinction within their area of (non-academic) practice” and that, “it includes individuals who have achieved prominence in public service, or who have attained distinction in their profession and through their practical experience.”

Jolie began as an ambassador for the UNHCR, the UN’s refugee agency, and is now a special envoy. She also campaigns for various other issues including conservation, education, and women’s rights.

Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 11.14.30

After being given her role, Jolie said: “It is vital we broaden the discussion on how to advance women’s rights and end impunity for crimes that disproportionately affect women, such as sexual violence in conflict.

“I am looking forward to teaching and to learning from the students, as well as to sharing my own experiences of working alongside governments and the United Nations.”

Visiting professors, William Hague being another recently appointed at LSE, are required to teach at least once over the course of the year but “as often as their schedules, and their commitment as agreed with the centre director, will allow”.

Angelina_Jolie_Brad_Pitt_Cannes

Applications for the course open at the start of the 2016 academic year.

NOW WATCH:
The Tab LSE The Tab LSE News