They’re back! LSE rugby team re-instated on probation

They were banned for a whole year because of an embarrassing Freshers’ flyer

LSE’s men’s rugby team will return on probation this year after getting in trouble for being misogynistic.

The club spent twelve months in exile because of an embarrassing freshers’ flyer which was handed out at last year’s fair.

LSESU General Secretary Nona Buckley-Irvine said in a statement: “We are able to confirm the Men’s Rugby Club will be returning on a probationary period for the following academic year.”

The team were banned after the SU received numerous complaints about a rugby flyer handed out at the freshers’ fair. The SU described the leaflet as containing “misogynistic, sexist and homophobic” material.

Comments on it included this description of “Hockey, Netball and Rugby birds”: “Beast-like women who play sport so they can come out with us Wednesdays, and don’t let them tell you otherwise.”

Their re-introduction this year will be limited to just one BUCS side, a down-sizing from the three LSE sides fielded two years ago, though more teams will be added in subsequent years should the SU be satisfied with the team’s progress.

splash

You probably won’t see any flyers like this at this year’s fair

The repentant club must also meet several conditions to avoid further disciplinary action, including bi-termly meetings with SU staff and the potential introduction of consent workshops for all players.

While on probation, the team faces a one-strike rule. It will only take one upheld complaint to the SU for the side to be automatically disbanded again.

lsesocial

‘Do your utmost to pull a sloppy bird’

In a statement confirming their return, Nona Buckley-Irvine said: “While the incident at Freshers Fair last year was distressful for the School community and served to create a hostile environment, it has served as a tool for change in our student community, our university, and beyond that into the national arena in terms of liberation.”

According to the BUCS fixture lists, LSE’s men will face the UCL 3rd team in their first competitive match of the new season.

NOW WATCH:
The Tab LSE