Death of Loughborough University’s head endurance coach has sparked sadness among the University

George Gandy worked at Loughborough from 1971 and coached Olympians such as Paula Radcliffe.

It’s hard to underestimate the impact that George Gandy made, not only on the Loughborough community but also on the world stage; devoting the majority of his life to sport and helping athletes reach their full potential. He was not only a coach but a talented runner himself, setting Northumberland county air group records at 880 yards and the mile. Being ranked number 2 himself, in the North of England in the mile run as an athlete for Gosforth Harriers.

Gandy had many great achievements mainly due to his dedication to the University and his passion for sports. In 2008 he received an Honorary Degree from Loughborough. He also gave long service as the director of athletics and was an integral member of staff within the School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences.

George would put time and dedication into Loughborough International Athletes (LIA) and provided the support University athletes needed to develop and progress, insisting they had the access to train on home turf. He had coached many famous faces such as Paula Radcliffe, Lord Sebastian Coe, Chris McGeorge, and more highlighting his great training skills.

Additionally, George Gandy also played an active role outside the University as he became an honorary UK National Endurance Coach from 1990-1997. His accomplishments were internationally known as in 2004 and 2013 he was introduced into the UK Sport Coaching Hall of Fame and the England Athletics Hall of Fame. He has successfully twice received the British Milers Club Coach of the Year emphasising his talent and capability. Likewise, he was inducted into the Loughborough Sport Hall of Fame in 2018.

Lord Coe stated:

“George was an exceptional person and a world-class coach.  For both, I owe him inestimable gratitude. He has enhanced and, in many cases, changed the lives of so many young people including mine. We have all suffered a grievous loss.”

An AU runner who was luckily coached by George has said:

“He was like another grandad/father figure to many and really inspired so many guys to keep at it and go on to achieve great things, no matter if they were elite or not.”

Another student AU runner has said:

“It was a privilege to have him look over me as an athlete offering all the knowledge and guidance he held” and “I feel lucky to have so many great memories of George from the past couple of years.”

Loughborough students and staff are deeply saddened and affected by his loss and have said “Our thoughts are with George’s family at this sad time.”