Image may contain: Furniture, Couch, Person, People, Human

Flatmates from hell? Here’s what to do if first term has gone terribly wrong

Advice from someone who’s been through it all

Before we all go to uni, there's a massive hype about how amazing it's going to be. For a lot of people this is the case, it's the best years of their lives.

They get to live with sound people who they get on with really well and that's them set. But for some, first year can go awfully wrong. Getting put in a flat with people you have nothing in common with and don't get along with can put a lot of strain on a person and ruin their whole year. It can be so bad that that person might drop out of uni.

If you're reading this and feel this way, don't worry. I've got you covered. Here's what you can do.

Join a sports team or society

One of the best ways to get out of your flat and away from your flatmates you perhaps don't like is to get involved with sports teams and societies. You may have heard it A LOT already, but it is honestly one of the best ways to meet new people.

Once you get to know these people more you can start hanging out with them outside of the team or society meet ups and become genuine mates. It might be even worth explaining your situation to them so they can talk through things with you. They'll definitely understand and this will help you out loads.

Get involved in your department

If you're someone who doesn't like to get involved with societies or sports, another way to meet new people is through your course socials. Most departments here at Loughborough offer socials where you can meet people on your course as well as second and third years.

It's awkward to start with but once everyone has a few drinks and feels slightly more comfortable around each other it can be a really fun night. You have to spend three or four years with these people, so you may as well get to know them now.

Image may contain: Shorts, Clothing, Apparel, Person, People, Human

Use your Wardens, that's what they're there for

If you're that unhappy in your flat and just need to get out of it you can ask to be moved. The Wardens are there to help you. They will listen to you and do everything they possibly can. It might take some time and you might have to move to a completely new Hall but if it means you'll be happier it'll be worth it.

Use the support services available

Sometimes after trying all these things you might still feel very lost. It can be so bad that you don't feel like yourself anymore. You're lonely, upset and want to drop out. I totally felt like that. For me it got so bad I started to suffer from depression and anxiety. But it will get better. If things are this bad, most Universities offer support services. Here at Loughborough there are a wide range of different people you can talk to. The University has a mental health support team who will talk to you and assist you as well as a counselling service. If you don't like the idea of talking to a counsellor they have an online system where you email a counsellor once a week and talk through everything. And also don't forget about Nightline. They are brilliant hard working people who will make sure you feel better and are taking the right steps forward. Mental health problems shouldn't be taken lightly so if things are that bad please get help.

Image may contain: Text, Poster, Paper, Flyer, Brochure, Webpage, File, Person, People, Human

University can be fun for everyone it just sometimes takes some of us longer to find our place and start loving things. But don't worry it will get better, trust me.