Things they should have told you before coming to Loughborough

Welcome to the bubble

The new term has started and with that means lots of new students at Loughborough. If you're an old time, returning for yet another semester, this list will inevitably ring true. But if you're among the newbies, you're probably thinking "what the fuck do I do now?" So here's a helpful list of some things you should be told before coming to Loughborough, because we weren't.

You live in a bubble now

If you've come from a massive city like London you probably think Lough is tiny, and that's because it is. Loughborough is well known for being called 'the bubble' and as tiny as it may feel, you'll soon learn to love the fact that you live in a tiny town where everything is in close walking distance. And if you do want some more city culture, Leicester and Nottingham are just down the road.

Freshers' week is actually a fortnight

Most unis only have one week of freshers but at Luff you get two (depending on what day your hall moves in). Obviously you've just moved to uni and you want to work towards your BNOC status, but going out every single night during freshers takes its toll on your body. If you don't want to be the one coughing in all the lectures, don't worry about taking a night off.

The sing off will be the single-handed most important day of your uni life

You've read about it in your freshers pack and now the night of the sing-off has come round. It's an evening of every hall screaming a chant about how shit the other halls are, but literally the most important night at uni. You'll also be forced to sing the song every single night of freshers running up to the sing-off.

You should only wear your freshers top for two days

Don't be that person that turns up to the lecture in the middle of semester 2 with their freshers top on. Wear it only twice, your first night of being a fresher and for the sing-off.

Everyone wears flip-flops

It's December and snowing, don't worry, you can still wear your shorts and flip-flops, everyone else does.

Just because you can get 3 VKs for a fiver doesn't mean you have to

So the union has put on its classic offer of 3 VKs for a fiver once again and you're convinced you can drink your body weight in them. But you can't. They're silent killers so don't make this mistake.

You'll probably get an insect infestation in your flat

Laziness with taking your bin out or disturbing a nest of flies. Coming to uni comes with the very high chance of their being some creatures floating around your flat somewhere.

You're going to accumulate a lot of t-shirts

Literally for every event or social you go to, you'll come back with a t-shirt.