Three Loughborough University security officers receive RHS awards after saving student

They resuscitated a student who had suddenly collapsed and stopped breathing

Security officers from the University have received awards for their bravery after they helped to save a student’s life.

Three members of staff have been presented with Royal Humane Society (RHS) awards after they helped resuscitate a student who had suddenly collapsed and stopped breathing.

The student was playing table tennis indoors on the university campus last year when the incident happened.

Security Officers Nick Sheppard and Darrell Morgan arrived at the scene with another colleague (who wishes to remain anonymous) and worked as a team to attempt to resuscitate him before the arrival of the paramedics.

Nick gave mouth to mouth whilst Darrell and another colleague undertook chest compressions and used a defibrillator to start his heart.

Control room operator, Caroline Parrans, was also on hand and calmly co-ordinated calls and facilitated the arrival of the paramedics and ambulance.

The student regained consciousness as he arrived at the hospital and survived. He continues to make progress towards a safe recovery.

Loughborough University vice chancellor professor Bob Allison presented the security officers with their RHS certificates on Monday, January 9.

Three of them, alongside Caroline, also received £100 vouchers under the university rewards scheme.

Professor Allison told the Loughborough Echo: “it is a privilege to present the RHS awards to the staff members involved and recognise their bravery throughout this incident. We are extremely grateful to them for their exceptional teamwork and thankful the student has since made a promising recovery.”

“All four members of staff are a credit to the University and we are proud to have such fantastic colleagues who are able  to handle challenging situations.”