It’s official: Women need more sleep than men

Make us breakfast in bed too

According to a Loughborough Professor, women need on average an extra 20 minutes in bed than their male counterparts.

Professor Jim Horne, who is the director of the Sleep Research Centre at Loughborough, conducted a study whereby he examined 210 middle aged women and men.

He found women officially need more sleep than men, as greater health issues can arise if women in they are found to be lacking in quality sleep.

Horne said: “We found that for women, poor sleep is strongly associated with high levels of psychological distress and greater feelings of hostility, depression, and anger. In contrast, these feelings were not associated with the same degree of sleep disruption in men.”

He continued: “This is because women’s brains are wired differently from men’s and are more complex, so their sleep need will be slightly greater. The average is 20 minutes more, but some women may need slightly more or less than this.”

This comes as great news for ladies across the country as it means us university students now have the excuse to miss our 9am’s because we were too tired. Result.