You’re the only person who finds your blog interesting

Omg please tell me what you dreamt about

Facebook is swarming with links to one blog or another. Every aspiring journalist/writer/publisher/artist needs to start somewhere, and so a lot of people create their own projects on host sites like Tumblr, WordPress and Blogger, but quite frankly, no one really cares. If you have great ideas, photography skills or are just good with words, chances are somebody out there wants to read your content. But recently, everybody seems to want a piece of the bloggers pie.

Stereotypically, blogging is associated with Whole Foods loving, club master wearing, Red Stripe drinking, socially conscious hipsters. Covering areas such as fashion, lifestyle and travel, their weekly posts brought us up to speed with their daily outfits and recent trips to Bali. We loved to hate them, but you couldn’t deny their stuff was great. I can’t be the only one wondering where all the hipsters have gone. They have faded into the background, taking their blogs with them and a new breed of blogger has taken their place: the worried and under prepared finalist. Your mind isn’t playing tricks on you. There’s been an influx of terrified third years creating blogs.

The essential Facebook announcement

He used to upload on Wednesdays

The Arts and Journalism students have been banished and the Engineers and Mathematicians want in on the action. They might study Maths and have high hopes of going into finance, but when they can be bothered to, they blog about fashion and the best coffee spots in London. Some have a genuine interest, but most are, and I quote: “Just doing it for the CV”. As a Finalist, there comes a point where people stop asking about your general well being and just want to know what the hell you’re going to do after uni. This gets us thinking: “What am I going to do after uni?”, “What have I done other than my degree that can get me a job after uni? Not much. I better start a blog then.” But half-arsed and grammatically incorrect as this blog might be, they are insistent on writing and directing all our attentions to it.

It’s true, we are all so much more than our degrees. For most people their degree is just a means to an end. But just because you like something, it doesn’t mean you should start a website about it. I love music and have a few killer playlists on SoundCloud, but you won’t catch me uploading mixes tomorrow and calling myself a DJ. I know I wouldn’t be able to do it justice and I’d probably upload one mix every three months.

Another one for the LinkedIn profile

Every creative has been criticised by a self-important business school student who thinks creative work is child’s play in comparison to their daily number crunching, but before you know it, they’ve gone and started a blog. All hipster jokes aside, for a lot of people writing and photography is something they want to turn into a career. But it’s only when you stumble across a blog that isn’t so good that you appreciate all the work that must go into creating a good one. So to all the Engineers and Economists out there, you can run but you can’t hide. The hipsters called and they want their bloggers rights back. But hey what do I know, maybe starting a blog is the key to securing a job at Merrill Lynch.