Loughborough grad jailed for bottling reveller in the SU

He bottled it

A disgraced graduate has been found guilty after he bottled a clubber in the face and left him needing four stitches.

Zain Anwar, 22, threw a bottle in the Loughborough SU at the victim after bumping into each other, as he thought they had been racially abused.

He was jailed for 16 weeks.

Anwar, who has since graduated with a 2.2 and now runs his own care home, pleaded guilty at Leicester Crown to causing extreme bodily harm.

The incident occurred on April 15th last year, when Anwar threw a bottle at the victim leaving them with a large lump on the forehead, several cuts around the face and a two inch gash down the left side of their jaw which needed four stitches.

Bottler Anwar has been sentenced to 16 weeks in jail on a 12 month suspended sentence, as well as having to do 140 hours of unpaid work.

In addition, he is on a four week 7pm-6am curfew and has been ordered to pay £960 costs.

Prosecutor, Kate Plummer, told Leicester Crown Court that the victim is in his early 20’s and “was visiting a friend at Loughborough Uni when the incident occurred.”

Plummer continued, and said that Anwar was sworn at and believed he was racially abused. However, Judge Philip Head denied this accusation and said there was no evidence to support this claim.

Judge Head said the victim’s behaviour was “obnoxious” as they invited Anwar outside for a fight, but that he should have behaved differently.

Head continued: “You threw a bottle at him at close range although some witnesses seem to think you were still holding it.

“Either way, you used a weapon, a glass bottle. It was an aggressive action.”

Mitigating Matthew McDonagh said: “He [Anwar] realises he’s jeopardised all the good he’s achieved in a moment of madness, albeit there was some clear provocation”.

He said that Anwar has learnt a lesson from the incident and deeply regrets his actions.