Loose uni staff spent £22,000 on booze and fun in festive do

Work hard, play hard

| UPDATED Christmas drinking Loughborough Loughborough University

Christmas brought family and friends together at a great cost to many.

But uni top brass quit sucking desks and blew a whopping £22,000 on a festive bash – and guess who’s footing the bill.

While you were sat in your dingy house in the student triangle or in some dark corner of Pilks, our hard-working university staff stripped off their elbow-padded blazers and guzzled Grey Goose at your expense.

A Freedom of Information request to the uni to see where your fees are going revealed £23,092.03 in 2013 on Christmas cheer.

Uni chiefs spent £970.77 on Christmas trees and decorations. On top of that the university shelled out a staggering £22,121.26 in staff party costs.

Here’s what you could buy with their staff party budget:

Entry to Echos every Saturday for 106 years (Entry: £4)

1474 Crates of Fosters (£15 each)

6412 bottles of Sainsbury’s Spanish Red Wine, Basics (£3.45 each)

2106 bottles of Sainsbury’s Vodka, Basics (£10.50 each)

One second year feels like the party costs are justified. Joe, an English student, said: “On the surface it seems like a ton of money and definitely is way too much, but if you think about the number of departments, admin, gym staff etc. I guess it would add up.

“I also know that staff had to pay for their tickets to Christmas parties, so it’s not like uni were just paying for a massive booze-up.”

Third year, Franki Alpert disagreed and feels that this kind of spending is why “we get stuck with White Dee.”

History and Geography finalist, Chris Kerr shared Franki’s frustration. He said: “I think that’s ridiculous, but I suppose our nine grand has to go on something.”

The Epinal spoke to English student, Jarrad Redkwa, he said that they “must have ordered at least 4 double vodka and cokes in [the] Kelso.”

Are you happy that the staff had a good party or are you just annoyed because you weren’t invited?