Goldsmiths student arrested on suspicion of rape

‘I hope he can never do this to another girl,’ says alleged victim

A Goldsmiths student was arrested on suspicion of rape on Monday 9th May at an address in Southwark, South London.

The student was taken into custody and bailed pending a court date in early June.

The arrest has been reported to Goldsmiths University, but there has been no reply or acknowledgment of the report to the victim.

The alleged victim claims the student raped, assaulted and coercively controlled her.

The assaults were said to have taken place at the victim’s residence and the perpetrator’s residence over the course of four months.

The alleged victim told the London Tab, “I am happy I went to the police. I hope he can never do this to another girl. That’s what I’m the most scared of. I think he’s destroyed a lot of girls’ lives.”

A spokesperson for the Met Police said: “In April 2022, police received allegations of rape reported to have taken place at an address in Southwark between October 2021 and March 2022.

A man, aged in his 20s, was arrested on Monday 9th May. He was taken into custody and bailed to a date in early June.”

The Goldsmiths student was allegedly released from custody on the condition they do not contact the victim or go to their address and university.

A spokesperson for Goldsmiths, University of London said: “We cannot comment on any ongoing police investigation.”

If you or someone you know has been affected by this story contact Refuge on their free 24/7 helpline 0808 2000 247 or contact Rape Crisis online for a free confidential chat helpline.