UCL is investigating a medical student for allegedly racially abusing woman on bus

Several witnesses claim the student shouted: ‘Shut up you dumb black bitch’

A UCL medical student is being investigated by the university for allegedly racially abusing a woman of colour on the 214 night bus after a night out.

Several witnesses claimed they heard the student shout “shut up you dumb black bitch” to the woman, who had asked her to stop swearing.

The student who allegedly made the racial slur told The London Tab: “I am being advised not to comment due to the ongoing investigation but I have video proof I did not say what they are claiming I said.”

Witnesses said the medical student in question “appeared aggressive” and started shouting at others present, before replying to the victim.

They added that the victim “politely, but firmly” asked the student to “stop using foul language on public transport” as she was “just trying to get home from work.”

All witnesses state that the other passengers were markedly upset at the situation, and the atmosphere was “incredibly tense” as the victim tried to defend herself, saying: “I am proud to be a black woman”.

A video recording was taken of the aftermath of the student’s racist comment, and was described as “chaos” by witnesses.

It shows the student being told multiple times to apologise, as well as the victim saying “she called me a dumb black bitch”, and being visibly distressed.

The video also shows multiple members of the public coming to confront the student for their comments.

A screenshot of the video seen by The Tab

The victim told witnesses that she had “worked for the NHS for 17 years” and was “disappointed to see that this is the future of medicine”.

The victim asked witnesses for details of the UCL Dean of Medicine and stated she would follow up with a report.

The incident was also reported to Professor Mark Emberton, Dean of Medicine, by other witnesses on the bus, who were told he’d “initiate an investigation” into the claims.

One witness told The London Tab: “It’s a UCL medic who goes and abuses someone who works in the NHS. It was clear that she assumed the woman was nobody and she could get away with it. Ask anyone on that bus.”

Another said: “It was shocking. It was quite serious and I didn’t expect it. It was hard to take in.”

The witness reported the student within 30 minutes of the incident taking place.

A UCL spokesperson said: “We can confirm this incident has been brought to our attention and we are investigating.”

They added: “UCL thoroughly condemns racism in all its forms, and we will take firm action against anyone who is found to have carried out any form of discrimination.

“UCL’s ‘Report and Support‘ encourages all members of our community to report any concerns or incidents – including anonymously. Staff, students and members of the public can also report an incident through our formal complaints process.

“We also have a comprehensive range of support and wellbeing services for anyone who has experienced harassment, abuse or discrimination which is available seven days a week.”

UCL Student Support and Wellbeing Team: Same-day appointments are available with the Disability, Mental Health and Wellbeing team. To book an appointment to speak to an adviser, please submit an enquiry through askUCL and a member of our team will be in touch, or call +44 (0)20 7679 0100.

Care First provides online and telephone counselling and advice available 24/7 (students abroad can use the Global Student Assistance Programme).

RUMS Society and UCL Medical Society have been contacted for comment, but will refrain from doing so until after the investigation, following the Students’ Union’s instructions.