London Mayor requests face masks remain compulsory on public transport

‘Mandatory face masks will give passengers reassurance and protect both them and our heroic transport workers’

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has announced that face coverings will remain mandatory on London public transport, even after restrictions ease on July 19th.

As for much of the last year, face masks will remain a condition of travel on London public services, unless passengers are exempt.

The Mayor’s decision comes after the Prime Minister announced most Covid-19 restrictions will be relaxed from Monday, July 19th, including the use of face masks except for in crowded spaces.

Following “careful consideration” however, Sadiq Khan has requested that face masks continue to be worn on public transport to protect TfL staff, tourists, and commuters. Masks should also be worn by both passengers and drivers in taxis according to the Mayor’s decision.

The Mayor has said: “We know from the government’s own advisors and from the World Health Organisation, that wearing a face covering indoors does reduce transmissions.

“It leads to greater public safety and greater public confidence as well.”

This makes London the first English city to announce that face coverings should remain compulsory on public services after July 19th, though in Scotland and Wales masks will continue to be mandatory in similar settings for some time to come.

Since Sadiq Khan’s announcement, Metro Mayors across England have collectively urged the government to reverse the decision to relax face mask wearing rules in spaces such as public transport as of July 19th.

On behalf of six regional Mayors, the Mayor of Greater Manchester has said: “We believe this puts people who are clinically extremely vulnerable in an unfair position and could affect their ability to travel.”

Related articles recommended by this writer:

• If you think blended learning is a great idea, here’s why you’re wrong (thetab.com)

Why is everyone so obsessed with getting a First? It’s unhealthy af (thetab.com)

LinkedIn hustle culture is toxic and here are the reasons why (thetab.com)