Two arrests made following hate crime reports at Royal Holloway, police say

There have been several reports of antisemitism, including swastika posters placed outside the uni’s library

Two arrests have been made following “a number of reports of hate crime” at Royal Holloway, University of London.

There has been a series of antisemitic incidents at the university, including swastika posters found outside the library.

The arrested man and woman have since been released on bail.

A spokesperson for the Surrey police has confirmed to My London that a 21-year-old man from Egham and a 19-year-old woman from Englefield Green have been arrested following the discovery of antisemitic posters on the RHUL campus.

Although both individuals were later released on bail, investigations are still ongoing.

The swastikas were found outside entrances to campus facilities and on the library terrace.

RHUL Jewish Society condemned these acts on Instagram, saying: “Opposition to the Israeli government’s actions does not justify these acts of bigotry, just as Islamist violence does not justify Islamophobic bigotry.

“Royal Holloway has garnered a reputation of being a liberal, diverse and welcoming University, yet these images and experiences make Jewish students feel more and more as if that doesn’t apply to them.”

Several other instances of antisemitism that have occurred on the RHUL campus are similarly being investigated by the police.

A rise in antisemitic abuse on university campuses has been reported throughout the UK with some universities responding by increasing police presence around campus.

A spokesperson for Surrey Police said: “A 21-year-old man from Egham and a 19-year-old woman from Englefield Green were arrested last night on suspicion of offences contrary to section 18 of the Public Order Act.

“They were both issued with police bail earlier this evening (19 May) while our investigation continues.

“This relates to a number of reports of hate crime at Royal Holloway University. We are working closely with the university as our investigation progresses.”

Professor Paul Layzell, Principal of Royal Holloway, said: “Students have contacted us about their concerns regarding tensions in the Middle East and their impact on campus.

“Within our community at Royal Holloway, we seek to uphold principles of respect for individuals, with an abhorrence of violence, and a belief that education can be used to make society better for all. We all have a role to play in maintaining a peaceful, respectful, inclusive and welcoming community, on and off campus. We must all play our part. Individuals who fail to behave appropriately will be subject to our university’s full disciplinary procedures, including passing details to the Police.

“If for any reason our students or members of staff are concerned about their wellbeing, or that of another student or member of our staff, they should contact our student or staff welfare teams via [email protected].”