One year later: A day of reflection to mark a year of lockdown and remember those lost

‘Today, the anniversary of the first lockdown, is an opportunity to reflect on the past year – one of the most difficult in our country’s history’

At noon today, a nationwide minute of silence was held to mark a year since the first announcement of lockdown measures in the UK and to remember all of those who lost their lives.

People are encouraged to stand together at 8pm, on doorsteps and balconies, with candles and torches to symbolise a “beacon of remembrance.”

The day of reflection, organised by end-of-life charity Marie Curie, aims to commemorate the one year mark since the Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, addressed the UK  calling for everybody to “stay at home”.

In a tweet, Boris Johnson said: “Today, the anniversary of the first lockdown, is an opportunity to reflect on the past year – one of the most difficult in our country’s history.”

He also said that the UK should “remember the great spirit shown by our nation over the past year”.

Prince Charles, who is patron of Marie Curie, has called on people to take part in the day of reflection, saying: “Whatever our faith or philosophy may be, let us take a moment together to remember those who have been lost, to give thanks for their lives, and to acknowledge the inexpressible pain of parting.

“In their memory, let us resolve to work for a future inspired by our highest values, that have been displayed so clearly by the people of this country through this most challenging of times.”

More than 250 organisations, including over 80 religious groups, as well as charities, businesses and community groups have voiced their support for the day of reflection and the London skyline is set to turn yellow this evening, with landmarks such as the London Eye and Wembley Stadium scheduled to light up in an act of remembrance.