10 virtual date ideas for a socially-distanced Valentine’s Day during the pandemic

Who would’ve thought Kahoot could be romantic?

We all know that it hasn’t been easy for long-distance couples this year. Some of us have had to go weeks and months without seeing that special someone. Sometimes the thought of another virtual date or FaceTime seems like its just more of the same.

And with Valentine’s Day fast approaching, you may be struggling for new ideas to spice up that online dating routine. So we scoured the internet and racked our brains to come up with the best virtual Valentine’s Day we could.

We’ve got you covered! Here are 10 virtual date ideas for Valentine’s:

1. Send flowers and chocolates

Before the date actually starts, you should set the mood for the occasion. To do that, consider sending your partner a bouquet of flowers with a box of chocolates. It’s a simple gesture but one that will go a long way especially with those plant mums (and dads).

flowers

2. Have dinner via video-call

This is really just covering the basics. A video-call date is a must. Charge your phone, get dressed up, pick a beverage of your choice and prepare to call all evening. If you want to treat your other half, consider ordering them their favourite takeaway.

virtual date- dinner

3. Take turns hosting a relationship-themed Kahoot

A bit of competition is always good for the soul. So why not test your knowledge of the relationship by each preparing a short quiz? Take note of the scores at the end so that the loser can order the winner their favourite dessert on Deliveroo.

Kahoot date

4. Quiz each other

If number three leads you to discover that you do not, in fact, know each other at all then you can always work on this by striking up some new conversations. There are tonnes of websites with ideas for questions, from fun and silly to serious and thoughtful.

5. Play games

Try your hand at Skribbl.io. Sabotage each other on Among Us. Or you can go down a more challenging route and have an online game of chess – Queen’s Gambit style.

6. Go on a virtual holiday via Google Earth

Remember the good old days when we’d only go onto our box-sized computers to use Paint or find our homes on the map? Well this Valentine’s day, you should broaden your horizons and travel the world with your loved one by sharing screens on Google Earth. You can start with the Great Pyramids of Giza, the Eiffel Tower, and the Burj Khalifa but the possibilities are truly endless. Or you can just search for your own houses again, whatever.

7. Take a virtual tour of art galleries all over the world

This one works particularly well for those who prefer a slightly more sophisticated take on Valentine’s day. You can marvel at the sculptures of the Musée d’Orsay, contemplate the strange rocks in the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art of Seoul, or ponder over the various self-portraits in the Van Gogh Museum. There’s an entire list of online museums you can tour together here.

8. Draw them like one of your French girls

Once you’ve been properly inspired by the likes of the Louvre, you can go one step further and get your creative juices flowing by attempting to draw one another. Maybe you’ll even discover a forgotten passion whilst you’re at it.

Virtual date

9. Watch a movie (+ play an optional drinking game)

Once you’ve returned from travelling halfway around the e-globe, settle down to watch a synchronised movie. You can do it on Netflix or Amazon Prime but you can also go old school and manually synch up your screens with a simple countdown. There’s even a bunch of free movies available to all UCL students right here. If you’re up for a laugh then throw in a drinking game or two.

Virtual movie date

10. Finish the evening off with Pillow Talk

No, not that kind of pillow talk. If you want to feel closer to your partner at the end of the day (and have the funds for it), consider investing in this Pillow Talk gadget. It lets you fall asleep to the sound of the other person’s heartbeat. Aw.