University of London Intercollegiate Halls have finalised their rent status

The University has recently emailed residents in intercollegiate halls: here’s what you need to know.

New information on rent for students in University of London accommodation has been released following an email sent to those in Intercollegiate Halls.

These halls are available for students studying at UCL, LSE, SOAS or any other UoL affiliated university.

The email confirms that students will be entitled to a rent discount during Lockdown 3.

The students in these halls have been striking since the beginning of the month to get a rent reduction. To read more about the rent strikes click here or check out @RentUol on Twitter.

In the email, University of London said: “Residents who are currently in their hall and wish to stay until the end of their contracts can do so, continuing to pay the rent at their current rate.”

Those students who are stuck in halls and wish to leave must “Continue to pay the rent at their current rate until they vacate the room”.

With national lockdown measures in place, UoL has told these students that they are not able to vacate their rooms until these restrictions are lifted, which will be the 28th of February at the earliest, costing many students sums in excess of £1000.

Residents were also told that if they had left their halls over the holidays and only wish to return when the lockdown restrictions are lifted must pay a fee of “£25 per week for their room.”

This fee also applies for students who are away and wish to terminate their contract but have left some of their belongings in their room.

Residents in UoL halls are calling for a 40% annual rent reduction for all students, better food options that cater for all dietary requirements, mental health support, and no repercussions for rent strikers, meaning no interest on missed rent payments.