Health secretary confirms London to move into Tier 3

Matt Hancock has confirmed that London will move into Tier 3 this week

It has been announced that London will be moving into Tier 3 in the next few days. Currently the capital is in Tier 2 (high) restrictions, but a sharp rise in cases in London has led to the decision being made to move it into Tier 3 (very high) ahead of the review on Wednesday.

This means that you are not allowed to mix households indoors and you can only meet other households outdoors in public spaces like parks in accordance with social distancing and the rule of six. The biggest change will be that hospitality venues are forced to close yet again, including pubs, restaurants and cafes. Takeaway and delivery are still allowed.

Indoor venues such as theatres, cinemas and bowling alleys will also be closed, and sports venues will not be allowed to have fans in attendance. People are also advised not to travel unnecessarily, especially in and out of tier 3 areas

The good news is that non-essential shops, hairdressers and gyms are still allowed to be open, so you can continue on with your Christmas shopping.

Tier 3 will be a big blow to the capital: a lot of venues have only been open for 3 weeks since the national lockdown, but it is a measure put in place to curb the rise in cases all over London.