Why everyone is talking about Eggslut?

Because it’s eggcellent… duh…

If you haven’t already seen eggslut all over your Instagram we are here to tell you all about it. After the success of their London flagship on Portobello Road, Eggslut has just opened their second London restaurant in Fitzrovia, just off Tottenham Court Road on Percy Street (aka right by campus). The restaurant opened in July this year and not only have they been hiring staff who were directly affected by corona related job losses but they’ve been serving killer meals.

If the name wasn’t a huge give away their menu is based around lots of different egg-based meals. They do six different eggy sandwiches including the sausage egg and cheese, the cheeseburger and the Fairfax. You can check out the full menu here. They also do their signature dish called the ‘Slut’ which involves: cage-free coddled egg on top of a smooth potato purée, poached in a glass jar, topped with gray salt and chives, served with slices of baguette.

Just in case you weren’t already sold on going to try out their awesome sounding meals, you should know they also do student discount, so if you go along with your student ID you can get 10% off. An eggsquisite deal!

We decided to go and check out the new eggslut so we could give you a comprehensive review of the eggsperience (I promise this is the last egg pun!).

When we went to visit, the first thing that we noticed was how friendly all of the staff were and how willing they were to chat with everyone ordering their food. Such good vibes! This made it so easy to pick our food because we were so torn by everything on the menu because it all looked so good!

We eventually came to a decision, placed our order in a nice and socially distanced fashion and then took a peak around the restaurant before sitting down. The interior aligns itself to the modern ‘insta-girl’, plant wall, neon lights vibe. So, unsurprisingly, we loved it! However, unlike many other ‘instaworthy’ London locations it doesn’t come with the same price tag.

A coffee is very much in line with normal coffee shop pricing and tastes just as good, and you can have one of these insane sandwiches for the same costs as a Nando’s, and trust, this place blows Nando’s out of the water if you are craving brunch food.

The eggslut set up also makes it the perfect place to hang out between your lectures to get some studying done. The place is awash with plugs and charging stations, also the upstairs (which happens to be up a really cool spiral staircase) has a variety of proper tables and chairs and more laid back sofa seating. That way if you just need somewhere to get comfy and do your reading, eggslut is your saviour.

Now, the food. After much deliberation, we decided to get the Gaucho and the bacon egg and cheese. It was a good decision.

1. The bacon egg and cheese

Eggslut description: ‘hardwood smoked bacon, cage-free over medium egg, cheddar cheese and chipotle ketchup in a warm brioche bun’ 

Our thoughts: it was poetic, so much so my description is going to sound like I’m doing a literary analysis of my sandwich. There was a beautiful juxtaposition of the crispy bacon with the softness of the brioche bun and the egg. Even though from the outlook the cheese looked like it had the potential to be flavourless American cheese, it was, in fact, creamy and tangy- the perfect match for the egg and the bacon.

In a nutshell, the bacon egg and cheese is what your imagination wants a bacon and egg McMuffin to be, but McDonald’s always seems to fall short.

2. The Gaucho 

Eggslut description: ‘seared wagyu tri-tip steak, cage-free over medium egg, chimichurri, red onions and dressed arugula in a warm brioche bun’

Our thoughts: Honestly as sandwiches go, the gaucho was up there. We’ve rarely seen a sandwich that we thought we’d have difficulty tackling because you just want every single thing in every single bite because it was all just so delicious. Whilst it comes in a little bit steep at £15 for a sandwich as soon I ate the huge amount lovely tender wagyu beef (like actually wagyu beef in the sandwich) and yum yum chimichurri sauce all tucked up in a nice little brioche bun bed I was full for literally 8 hours.  So, it’s definitely worth the price.

Aside from all the savoury bites they have sweet options for you if you somehow still have room after your meal.  Their cookies are renowned for being insane and they also do these awesome buttermilk biscuits. We, as dedicated food critics thought it was only right that we try this world-famous cookie, and lone-behold it was also incredible. So soft and gooey and just the perfect cookie texture but then it had this fun twist of being a little bit salty. Amazing!

A very happy and full eggslut customer

So, if you love eggs, you love brunch food, love some chill vibes (which are wonderfully accompanied by some classic 80s tunes) you need to go to eggslut.