Imperial stands by Gov scientist that broke lockdown rules to meet married lover

Chief Government scientist Neil Ferguson breaks his own lockdown advice visiting his married lover

Imperial professor and government scientist Professor Neil Ferguson has taken a step down from his position on the UK government SAGE (Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies) committee after it was revealed that he had broken lockdown to meet his married lover.

His lover frequented his home during the lockdown whilst Ferguson was simultaneously advising the public to adhere to the strict social distancing rules in place in order to prevent coronavirus.

The woman herself, Antonia Staats, lives in her own home with her husband and children. Stats travelled from her home in South West London to spend time with the government Professor on at least two occasions, just days after Ferguson has finished self-isolating after he tested positive for the virus.

The Daily Mail reports that on March 30, Staats travelled across the capital to visit Ferguson, who then warned the country the lockdown would be necessary until June in a BBC interview when Staats was allegedly in his flat.

His research prompted the lockdown as he insisted without it 500,000 Britons would die. Even though he insisted in his frequent media appearances that he was social distancing, this was clearly not the case.

In one interview Ferguson insisted that people of the UK needed to “keep transmission down”, in another “there was little leeway to relax measures until there was something in their place”. He also stated that “lifting lockdown could cost a 100,000 lives”, emphasising the importance of social distancing whilst ignoring it himself.

Professor Ferguson announced his resignation from the SAGE committee yesterday, saying: “I acted in the belief that I was immune, having tested positive for coronavirus and completely isolated myself for almost two weeks after developing symptoms.

“I deeply regret any undermining of the clear messages around the continued need for social distancing to control this devastating epidemic.

Imperial have stated: “Professor Ferguson continues to focus on his important research.”