A Jubilee line tube driver has tested positive for coronavirus

The driver recently returned from a holiday to Vietnam

Transport for London have confirmed that a London Underground driver on the Jubilee Line has tested positive for coronavirus.

The driver is based at the North Greenwich depot and recently returned from a holiday in Vietnam. It is reported that he is self-isolating and that the train and depot he worked in is being deep cleaned.

A spokesman for TFL said: “The safety of our staff and customers is our top priority and we are taking all necessary precautions.” TFL is working closely with Public Health England to prevent further spread of the virus and the driver said that he has not worked in any public-facing job since returning from Vietnam.

Despite the number of cases rising and Mayor of London Sadiq Khan taking action including calling off this Sunday’s St Patrick’s Day celebrations in Trafalgar Square, he stated that closing of public transport would be “unsustainable” adding that “things will get worse before they get better.”

While the London Underground remains running, over the past four weeks journeys have fallen by 1.6% compared to the same period last year with  more people choosing to work from home as pre-emptive action.

Although internal London transport is yet to be impacted, Heathrow Airport has reported that passengers flying to the US will have their immediate travel histories checked before departing, following the US Government announcing a travel ban on 26 European Countries.

Government scientists have warned that up to 10,000 people in the UK are already infected with Covid-19, as of March 12th there are 136 confirmed cases of coronavirus in London.

You can find out the number of confirmed cases and risk level on these webpages.