Image may contain: Debate, Speech, Person, Crowd, Audience, Human

UCL gracefully bow out of University Challenge, making it a whole round further than King’s

It is however, the second time Edinburgh have knocked us out in as many years

It's been a hard battle and an incredible journey, but yesterday UCL said goodbye to its time on this year's University Challenge.

After our celebrated victory against KCL in the previous round, UCL was defeated by Edinburgh with a small margin of 20 points.

Echoing the events of the 2017-18 show, UCL faced the University of Edinburgh in the second round of the competition. However, competition was tight and the Scottish university achieved victory in the last three minutes of the competition.

Image may contain: Press Conference, Speech, Audience, Crowd, Person, Human

UCL was in the lead for most of the competition – 12 minutes in, the Edinburgh team was losing by 70 points. Nonetheless the tables in minute 23, shortly before the end of the show.

In the final scoring, UCL obtained 160 points and Edinburgh 180.

The last minute loss makes team member George Mitkov's careless loss of 10 points over two different questions a difficult moment to look back on.

Image may contain: Lighting, Display, Monitor, Screen, Electronics, Lecture, Speech, Person, Crowd, Audience, Human

Spotlight on Mitkov

History seems to like repeating itself, as this is not the first time that UCL faces the University of Edinburgh in the second round of the competition. Indeed, in the 2017-18 series the margin between the two teams was a mere five points.

Nonetheless, UCL has a very good track record in University Challenge. In 2013 it reached the final round and achieved second place. And even though we lost, we were the highest scoring losing team this round!

Image may contain: Performer, Man, Face, Person, Human

This picture represents all of our sadness

Luckily, the good people of Twitter were here to cheer us up.