Introducing Emma Louise, the ghost of UCL

There is something creepier than Jezza at UCL

You would think that having the dead body of the university’s founder, dressed and on display, would be the spookiest thing about UCL. But UCL is full of surprises.

We all know the Cruciform is creepy with all the sleep deprived medics wandering around like zombies but there is in fact a more terrifying presence wandering the halls: a ghost of a medic.

The legend goes that a young med student Emma Louise was brutally murdered at UCL and that she haunts the Cruciform. The story goes that if you say her name three times she will appear.

Image may contain: Tower, Steeple, Spire, Architecture, Urban, Town, High Rise, City, Building, Apartment Building

Our own Hogwarts with our own ghosts

Emma Louise is thought to have been a med student at UCH, back when it was located in the Cruciform building. The story says that when the cruciform was a hospital there were underground tunnels, which connected it with other building around campus.

Every day Emma Louise used to walk through the tunnels to get from the hospital to her rooms in the Arthur Tattersall hall. But one day she never came to work…

She was found on the floor of the tunnel dead.

Murdered.

Image may contain: Corridor

Over the years, a number of students living at Arthur Tattersall have become curious about their paranormal roommate. In 2004, a group of students, decided to summon her by calling her name three times.

The event is recorded on the Paranormal Database. The students decided one night to summon Emma Louise for a bit of a laugh. But it didn't turn out like they had planned.

Image may contain: Ramp, Machine

After saying Emma Louise three times, the students started to hear laughter. At first, they just thought it was one of their friends laughing; but, as the laughter continued, it became clearer and clearer that no one in their group was laughing.

The students searched everywhere, but couldn't find the source of the noise. The sound of a young girl’s voice continued intermittently throughout the night. Out of fear, the group decided to move into a friend's room, but they could still hear the sound of a girl's voice.

A couple of nights after this, they found the door of their room opened, with the words "HELP ME", "DIE", "MURDER" and "RIP" painted across the wall.

Even though there have been sightings, the story of Emma Louise's ghost is not well known around campus. Emily Gaul, who studies Human Sciences, former Student Rep of Arthur Tattersall Hall, said that she "hadn't heard about it", and "had no idea." Perhaps, she'd been sharing accommodation with a ghost without even knowing it?

Declan Pollard, who studies History, whose residence is next door to Arthur Tattersall, knows about Emma Louise. He found out about her online before coming to UCL. Even after a few months living in the halls, he says he still feels nervous whenever he goes to the basement on his own.

It doesn't look haunted at first right?

Despite rumours and legends, the UCL campus shows very little sign of paranormal activity or secret underground tunnels (which would be very useful in the rain). The most terrifying presence on campus continues to be the living sleep-walking medics.

However, keep your eyes open, and do listen out for strange laughter. Halloween is coming and who knows what might happen?