Uber drivers are striking for 24 hours in London today

Will you get the bus?

Hide Images

Today from 1pm Uber drivers are asking us not to cross the “digital picket line” for 24 hours as British drivers of the app-based service are holding their first coordinated national strike.

The strike is being held to demand an increase in fares to £2 per mile from a current fare of £1.25 in London, and a 10 per cent reduction in commissions paid by drivers.

Supporting the strike, Emily Ayers, a second year History of Art student, said: “Every Uber driver I’ve met has been really friendly and deserves to be respected enough to earn enough to live for a job they do really well.

“Public transport is cheaper and I don’t mind taking it.”

No Uber for you today

Uber drivers are struggling. Stephany Hull, a Birmingham- based driver taking part in today’s strike, said: “There is mass discontent among drivers because the over-supply of vehicles and the way that drivers earn their money is making it almost impossible to make enough to survive.”

Uber has defended itself saying: "We are always looking for improvements to ensure drivers have the best possible experience and can make the most of their time driving on the app"

"We've introduced dozens of new features, including sickness, injury, maternity and paternity protections."

Uber is also appealing against the 2016 legal ruling that decreed its drivers were not self employed and should be paid the national minimum wage.

The night bus calls.