Calls for UJS to suspend working-relationship with NUS over Malia’s alleged ‘anti-semitic tropes’

She’s refused to accept her remarks were anti-semitic

A motion has been proposed calling for the Union of Jewish Students (UJS) to suspend its working relationship with the NUS, following Malia Bouattia’s alleged anti-semitic insults and failure to address the concerns of Jewish students.

The motion, to be debated at the UJS National Conference on the 11th of December, accuses Malia of expressing a ‘double standard’ by refusing Jewish students the right to identify their own oppression.

Responding to an open letter signed by 57 Jewish society presidents, Malia argued her words were not antisemitic.

She said: “I am deeply concerned that my faith and political views are being misconstrued and used as an opportunity to falsely accuse me of antisemitism”.

UJS was founded in 1919

The UJS is the national representative body for 64 Jewish University societies across the country.

Claiming to represent over 8,500 Jewish students in the U.K. and Ireland, it is the biggest Jewish student organisation in the country.

Calling for Malia to make a full apology, the proposer of the motion, Binyomin Gilbert, said: “The NUS president must apologise, must commit to upholding the NUS policy of endorsing the definition of antisemitism and act upon it.

“She must recognise the multifaceted nature of Jewish identity and our people’s right to national self-determination and stop applying double standards on how oppressed groups are treated.” 

The motion also cites examples of Malia’s alleged ‘anti-semitic tropes’, including her reference in September 2014 to “Zionist-led media outlets”, as well as suggesting the government’s Prevent strategy is the result of a so-called “Zionist lobby” at a SOAS Israeli Apartheid Week event in 2016. 

Malia has been repeatedly criticised for her rhetoric

In a press release, UJS President Josh Seitler said Malia’s ‘inexcusable’ failure to apologise or commit to addressing concerns of anti-semitism meant “like huge numbers of Jewish students I am appalled by Malia’s past rhetoric and ongoing behaviour.”

Despite concerns raised by Jewish and non-Jewish students, Malia Bouattia was elected President during the NUS National Conference back in April.

Following her election, 15 Students’ Union held referendums over their association with the NUS, with the Universities of Hull, Newcastle, Lincoln and Loughborough choosing to disaffiliate.

A Home Affairs Select Committee report into anti-semitism described her comments as smacking of “outright racism”.

The report stated that Malia “does not appear to take sufficiently seriously the issue of antisemitism on campus, and has responded to Jewish students’ concerns about her previous language with defensiveness and an apparent unwillingness to listen to their concerns.”

In a statement, an NUS spokesman said: “It would be a disappointment if the discussion of this motion, at the upcoming conference, leads to UJS suspending their working relationship with NUS, particularly as we have just launched research into Jewish students’ experiences on campus and have a whole programme of work being undertaken to fight anti-Semitism on which we would hope to work with UJS.

“NUS will always strive to ensure Jewish students’ voices are heard and we hope to continue working with UJS on this vitally important work.

“Jewish students can find more information on the research below.”