We asked students if the contraceptive pill is sexist

Some feel it burdens women with all the negative side effects

A few days ago, The Guardian published an article on a study that linked depression to women using the contraceptive pill.

The study, published by the University of Copenhagen found that women who took the oral contraceptive were 23 per cent more likely to be diagnosed with clinical depression.

The reactions following the study’s publication has led to a serious debate as to its current use, with even high-flying doctors weighing in to give their thoughts.

Some have called out the contraceptive pill as a sexist drug, giving women the choice between depression or pregnancy, whilst others have said it’s for the individual to make an informed choice, based on all the information at hand.

With young people more likely to have casual sex and therefore more likely to need the contraception, The Tab decided to ask students if they felt the contraceptive pill was a sexist drug.

Laura, Philosophy

“I was aware of the physical and mental changes I observed in myself, but totally unaware of the scientific evidence. I was prescribed the pill when I was 16 because I had acne and wasn’t warned about any side effects – not only does it numb your emotions but it destroys your desire for sex.

“I stopped taking it a couple of years ago and I feel so much better in my mind and body. However, this doesn’t stop me feeling cheated.”

John, History

“I know this is unpopular, but it’s like feminists want to make everything about women’s rights. It’s not like they are forced to use the pill, it’s just a reliable contraceptive. If they have all those problems of course they can stop taking it!”

Jane, Natural Sciences

“Honestly I didn’t know anything about this. I knew that some of my friends had to stop using it because they felt stressed or had weird mood changes, but it didn’t happen to me. I mean, it’s good that we have this way to avoid pregnancies but I guess some women just can’t use the pill.”

Kushe, MSc Economics.

“I didn’t know about the connection between the pill and depression. I don’t think anyone has been informed or the information would have spread already. Taking it, is a very open choice though and I don’t think it’s sexist.”

Sofia, IMB

“I think there are quite a lot of choices that women have in terms of contraception  but I think they need to be more informed on the side effects. I’ve tried various pills and they can really fuck up your mood swings.

“I don’t think women are really aware of the side effects or the consequences and maybe it’s time men take on the same responsibility as women do. We are the ones who get pregnant.

It’s not sexist, it’s just practical because we are the ones who do have the child. Of course they should be concerned as well, but at the end of the day you need to look after yourself. And stay safe kids!”

Jay, Architecture

Forgot something?

“I was aware and experienced myself the side effects of the pill on women’s mood but I didn’t expect it to be connected with something major like depression. I think it’s a serious issue and more information is very important when it comes to it.

“I don’t think that women taking the pill is necessarily sexist, if this is the best solution science has found. But when it comes to side effects, men and women together should consider them. For example, why are women visiting doctors alone? It becomes sexist when a woman is left alone.”