Brain vs Board: Academics’ OPPOSITION to UCL Management

They worry that UCL’s financial reforms could impair students’ research

Some UCL academics affiliated with the School of Life and Medical Sciences (SLMS) have expressed strong opposition to reforms made to UCL’s Discretionary Accounts policy by the Management.

Discretionary Accounts contain money earned outside of UCL contracted employment including consultancy, private patient work, prizes and donations. The money can be used to support members of a department as well as to fund the replacement of faculty equipment.

The restrictions are part of a wider policy to improve UCL finances

UCL management had little to do with discretionary funds prior to this academic year, but on the 12th of November 2015 UCL’s Senior Management Team (SMT)- including Provost Michael Arthur and Vice-Provost Rex Knight- updated the expenses policy imposing restrictions on the use of discretionary funds, in line with UCL’s financial objective of attaining a 5% surplus target on its estate.

The move received strong opposition from academics because it has become considerably harder to secure funds considered crucial for the running of faculties and research projects. This is a testimonial from a Clinical Professor in Medicine:

“My echocardiography machine died at the end of last year. This device is integral to my lab work…I had the money in my Discretionary account but was told I couldn’t use it as it hadn’t been budgeted for in advance of the current UCL financial year.I pointed out that I wasn’t anticipating that the machine would break down irreparably.”

Rex Knight wrote a letter to UCL academic staff justifying the restrictions imposed in January

Although concessions were made in June, such as allowing the automatic approval of non-pay expenditure under £5,000, many academics are still fearful that UCL’s tightening of discretionary funds will still harm student prospects. An SLMS academic who wished to remain anonymous told The Tab: 

“Expensive equipment might be being used for a student lab-based project, and it might break down.  If we have to get permission to have it repaired using money from our Discretionaries this will inevitably take time and could affect the progress of the student or their ability to finish gathering data for their dissertation ( undergrad, masters or PhD)”

In a statement, UCL argued that,

“We recognise that academic discretionary accounts fulfil an important function at UCL and we envisage them continuing to do so. There is not, and has never been, any intention to appropriate funds in these accounts, nor use them for any other purpose.

“The interim measures currently in place are intended to provide staff with the flexibility to support the ongoing academic activity which is vital to UCL’s success, whilst maintaining academic and financial sustainability.”

@Ranter_Rager