UCL spent over £6 million on office supplies last year

There’s no such thing as too many pencils

After The Tab had a look at UCL’s Financial Report 2014/15, there was one thing which stood out to us the most: our love for stationery. We spent a grand total of £6,298,000 on stationery in 2015 and an even more shocking £7,716,000 in 2014.

pens, pens everywhere

Okay yes, not the entire 6 million was splashed out on stationery specifically, but on office supplies more broadly. Not only is this a ridiculous amount, but what is even more concerning is the fact our stationary and office supply costs were 3 times the amount of what was spent on Advertising and recruitment in 2014.

It’s clear that stationary was UCL’s top priority in 2014 as we also managed to spend £1million more on stationary than we did on General Educational Expenditure.

Although we did slightly better in 2015 in terms of spending, it still doesn’t exactly justify the figures. Realistically,  we should have a life-supply of pens, rubbers and rulers by now.

Nine grand tuition fee = pens

Nonetheless, stationary is of course more than important, and UCL probably know what they’re doing with it all, unless they’re like us and constantly loosing pens on a daily basis.