Police presence in London increase following Brussels attacks

Over 30 people were killed this morning

The Met have said that they will be increasing police presence around London following this morning’s terror attacks in Brussels. Patrols will be increased everywhere, but most notably in transport hubs such as Euston and King’s Cross.

In a statement made to the Independent, Assistant Commissioner Rowley said that these measures were to “provide reassurance” and that they were “not in relation to any specific information or intelligence”.

With regards to air travel, both Gatwick and Heathrow airports have confirmed that they have upped security measures, and all flights to Brussels Airport have been cancelled until at least 6am (5am GMT) on Wednesday. Armed police patrols have been deployed to major London airports, but flights elsewhere are still running as normal. However, it is advisable that people still check for delays and cancellations with their airlines, as security and intelligence forces across the world are currently on high alert.

There is currently no Eurostar service between St Pancras International and Brussels-Midi, with a limited service operating to Lille Europe. However, as Brussels-Midi is being reopened, they are looking to reinstate some service.

Multiple blasts rocked the Belgian capital this morning at around 8am local time, with two explosions at Brussels Airport departure hall. A third blast occurred shortly afterwards as a Metro train was pulling into Maalbeck station, some 400m from EU headquarters. At least 36 people have been killed, and over 100 injured – several critically so.

The attack comes four days after the arrest of Salah Abdeslam, who is believed to be the top suspect of the Paris attacks, which killed over 130 people in November.

The UK’s terror threat level remains at ‘severe’ – as it has been since August 2014.