UCL ranked 5th best university in Europe

We’re 4th in the UK

The Times Higher Education World University Rankings for 2016 were released today, revealing UCL as the fifth best university in Europe and the fourth best in the country.

Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial came before UCL on the list, with the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich coming fourth. LSE took sixth place and King’s took eighth place, allowing four of the top ten universities in Europe to be London based institutions.

The higher education institutions were measured based on their teaching environment, research environment and influence (through citations), industry income and international outlook to generate a list of the 200 best universities in Europe.

UK universities occupied almost a quarter of the list, more than any other European country, taking 46 places in total. Germany was the second most represented nation on the rankings with 36 universities on the list, 11 of which made the top 50. Italy was also up there with 19 universities on the rankings, although only 1 of their institutions, Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa,  made it on the top 50.

The Times Higher Education World University Rankings already ranked UCL as 14th best university in the world for the 2015-2016 academic year. UCL came after several US universities such as Stanford, MIT, Harvard, Princeton, Yale and Berkley.