Union Council to discuss anti-Israeli boycott motion tonight

The motion calls for boycott, divestment and sanctions against Israel

A UCL Union Council  meeting tonight is set to discuss a motion proposed by a member of the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement.

The motion proposes UCLU, “no longer stock any products boycotted by the BDS movement in any union sales outlet, not advertise nor endorse them” as well as “ensure that it does not have any commercial or investment relationship with companies that participate in Israeli violations of international law”.

The motion argues that boycotting has become necessary because “the state of Israel is able to maintain its system of occupation, colonialism and apartheid because of the support of international regime and the complicity of corporations and institutions across the world.”

One UCLU councillor has told the Tab he believes: “The Council shouldn’t make the decision either way, and should defer the whole thing to a General Assembly so that all students can come and debate and vote on the issue, rather than just having the council decide on their behalf.”

Palestinian Flags were draped over the Portico to raise awareness for Israel Apartheid Week

An amended motion to the original motion has been put forward that deletes any calls for boycott.

This Union Council has coincided with the Israel Apartheid Week, designed to raise awareness of perceived Israeli occupation. The UCLU Friends of Palestine Society have been participating and marked the beginning by putting Palestinian Flags all around the UCL campus.

The BDS describes itself on its website as “The global movement for a campaign of Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) against Israel until it complies with international law and Palestinian rights”.

The meeting will take place at 6pm in Chadwick G08- all current UCL students can attend although only elected councillors can vote.

You can see the full list of motions that will be discussed here.