UCL’s ultimate Varsity squad? Meet the frisbee team

Slippin’ discs

There are only four days left of the London Varsity Series and after conceding seven points over the weekend our football teams have closed the deficit to four points, leaving the score at 8-12 with seven left up for grabs over the next few days.

Today men’s and women’s lacrosse takes place at Honor Oak Park, and ultimate frisbee gets underway in Somers Town.

We had a chat with the captain, Ruth Kilsby, who talked us through the game and the team.

On what ultimate actually is, Ruth told us: “Ultimate is a fast paced intense game played with a disc – it’s often described as being a cross between American football and netball.” If you want to find out more, you can pick up your tickets here and check it out from 7pm.

Andrea Tang

“Ex-track runner who decided to switch to less real sports. And dominate. Fuelled by maple syrup, poutine and Vietnamese spring rolls. #SorryAboutThat”

Alicia Tan

“Her end zone tekkers are matched only by her passion for scrounging for food. And then Instagramming it. #Instagood #freelunchfrisbee”

Dan Janman

“As dedicated as he is treacherous. He abandoned Cambridge and Imperial to become a team stalwart here within minutes of his arrival. #TraitorsGonnaTrait”

Eduardo GO

“Most spirited giant on the planet. #mexicanBFG”

Kieran Miller

“Much like Bentham’s embalmed head, Kieran is a staple of Gower Street. He was here when you vommed during fresher’s week, he was watching when you decided wearing a lanyard wasn’t cool anymore and he’ll be here when have to move back in with your parents. #NeverGraduate”

Matt Coster

“Came back from Korea and was instrumental in the merger with the IoE last summer as all he ever dreamed of was playing Ultimate in the London Varsity Series. Sometimes seen abandoning play to improve his swag levels. Some refer to him as Jamie Lannister, and not because he had an illegitimate child with his sister. #swagcaptain #kingslayer #whodabes”

Nina Montana

“Loves Ultimate so much that she considers attending the last 5 minutes of training ‘worth it’ when she probably has much better things to do. #JTM”

Rhys Morgan

“Used to be at LSE; never quite in varsity; chose law as his second degree; Dear lord why. Loves board games so much it’ll make your mum ask ‘that friend of yours Rhys is nice but hasn’t he got a girlfriend yet?’ #playfieldnotboard”

Ruth Kilsby (captain)

“This broccoli-eating vegetarian is a badass. Her opinion of the King’s team is as low as her iron levels must presumably be. #thisgirlcan #MeatFreeAllDay”

Sheree Liu

“Latest American Import. Beer comparison. All rejoice. #’murica #makefrisbeegreatagain”

Tim Beech

“A goal machine who scores nearly every point he plays, provided you don’t take him outside. #goalmachine #whichwaytotheBeech”

#bleedpurple