Badminton hunting for a Shuttlecock-smash win

Meet the team hoping to beat King’s

The new kid on the block, Badminton’s a very recent addition to the London Varsity Series but that doesn’t mean there wont be some seriously intense shuttlecock action on court.

Kicking off at 10am on Sunday at the University of East London, student tickets are just £5 and you can get them here – a price worth paying as they’re looking to draw blood, metaphorically at least.

Interested? Meet the guys and girls hoping to break the King’s racquet:

Sai Kin Chay, Pharmacy, 3rd year

“Known as ‘quads’, Sai Kin is UCL’s star player; having played state level in Malaysia, he possesses such a powerful smash that most players find it impossible to return it. And the sound from his racket when he smashes – boom.”

Jay Li (women’s captain), Economics, 2nd year

“She’s been playing badminton since the young age of 6. She is an all-rounded player as she plays both singles and doubles. Patience and smartness are the tell-tales signs of her style of play.”

Will Gao, Medicine, 3rd year.

“An ex-Surrey county player, Will is the clown of the team – full to the brim with jokes and banter. But he’s one fine player; he represented England in the world high school games in Bulgaria and a key figure to Surrey’s success in the county leagues. Will was also on track to becoming a full time badminton player, representing England on the world stage. But he chose to become a medic. Smart choice.”

Vincy Yip, Economics, 2nd year

“Coached to the nines, she was the vice president of a team in the leading badminton high school in Hong Kong and represented her district in the Hong Kong Games. She is known to be a quiet and calm player who enjoys every match she gets.”

William Yee Liang Chen, Economics, 2nd year

“A Malaysian scholarship student; intelligent, wise and insightful. Not one to talk much but William is incredibly calm on court. Under pressure, he is able to perform and give the results when it matters. A fine and steady player.”

Kacy Chou, Management Science, 1st year

“Kacy is from Hong Kong and she is a big fan of Lee Chong Wei. She was first introduced to badminton in 2008 and fell in love with the sound and speed of the shuttles immediately – she’s still working on becoming a more powerful player.”

Ifkar Arifin, Psychology, 2nd year (men’s captain)

“Not a technically gifted player but works hard on court, covering every corner. The most adaptable player in the team as Ifkar can play with anyone and produce those important wins. Worked his way up the ranks from 1st year and now he is the men’s 1st team captain. Not too shabby.”

Yukun Luke Lu, Civil Engineering, 2nd year

“Definitely the most vocal on court. A very expressive player, expressing both joy and disappointment on court. Known for shouting and fist pumping for every point, Luke intimidates his opponents during crucial points. He also possesses very quick feet, probably the fastest in the team. An all round aggressive but consistent player.”

Lucy Battersby, International Planning, Masters

“Badminton has always been a part of her life – and during her Exeter undergrad years held many positions within the Badminton team as well as awards – captaining the team that finished 2nd in the Southern Premier League. Now doing her masters at UC L- Badminton remains her ultimate study break!”

Rex Lau, Computer Science, 4th year

“Also known as ‘T-Rex’, Rex is the most experienced member of the team. He is our Gandalf; the one who has all the answers, solutions and wisdom. He has been in the team for 4 years and currently the only left-hander in the club. A fine player who can hit the shuttle hard.”

#bleedpurple