Meet the swimmers ready to blow King’s out of the water

They’re ready to make a big splash

On Saturday 5th March 2016, the UCL swimmers are facing King’s in their annual showdown as part of the London Varsity series 2016.

The UCL swim team are stronger than ever and currently at the top of the London League. They’re ready to dominate the competition, diving into an intense training regime that included braving the icy waters of Hackney lido. With fresh new talent and Varsity veterans, there’s no doubt that this year, they’re out for blood.

Buy tickets here for only £5 and come to York Way Leisure Centre to show some support against our rivals.

The Captains

Ellen Trayhurn (Second Year, Biological Sciences) and Hiro Harazawa (Third Year, Geography) are ready to lead their team into victory. Ellen is the 100m and 200m freestyle club record holder and Hiro a former two time National Champion. When they’re not dressed as crayons at ULU, they’re preparing themselves to crush King’s at the illustrious York Hall. They told The Tab they are a “force to be reckoned with.”

The Boys

Matt Thomson, second year, Economics

Matt was a key member of last year’s promotion and Varsity winning team.

Frankie Banhidy:  Second Year, Biochemistry

Frankie began swimming two years ago and has since made himself a first team mainstay.

Jordan Corrigan, affiliate student, History, Politics and International Relations

One of the most dedicated members of the team.

JJ Choron, first year, Physics

JJ is the 50m and 100m freestyle club record holder.

Louis Seller, first year, Medicine

Louis is a Serial National Finalist reserve.

Fergus Huins, second year, Spanish and History of Art

Fergus is the Marketing Officer for UCLU swimming and a powerful butterfly swimmer.

Kiwon Lee, Masters, Global Health and Development

Kiwon is a veteran amongst the team but still manages a speedy 50m freestyle.

Fergus Stewart, second year, Mechanical Engineering

Fergus is one half of the Social Secretaries, so naturally loves a big night out.

The Girls

Laura White, fourth year, Medicine

Laura is the current club President and long term member since day one.

Becky Hopkins, second year, Medical Physics

Becky is the ex Women’s Captain and current club Treasurer.

Zoe Illis, first year, ESPS

Zoe is new to the club and a general all rounder.

Tiffany Koh, third year, Statistics, Economics and Finance

Tiffany is resident butterfly swimmer and one half of the Singaporean dream team, Tan and Koh.

Jolene Tan, second year, Law

Jolene is notorious for her underwater kick and the second half of the Singaporean dream team.

Maeva Geyer Carles, affiliate student, Law

Maeva can run 10km in under 38 minutes.

Stefania Silvestre, second year, Neuroscience

Stefania is battling through injury for the sake of the team, one of the most dedicated swimmers.

Lara Cosford: first year, Environmental Geoscience

Lara is an ex National Champion.

Jacquelyn Yang, first year, Psychology

Better be scared, King’s.