London Varsity 2016: Meet the UCL Captains set to destroy King’s

I walk down the Strand with my…

The London Varsity series kicks off tomorrow as UCL hockey players take to the Olympic Park to hammer King’s and kick off a no-doubt glorious week ahead for all London students in purple and blue.

Varsity 2016 culminates in a classic head-to-head at Allianz Park where the rugby is set to take place, but there’s plenty of action to whet your appetite before then.

The Tab caught up with the Varsity captains to find out where and when you can watch the annihilation first hand.

Badminton

Women’s Captain – Jay Li, 2nd year, Economics

Jay told The Tab: “There is one simple reason you should come and watch: Badminton is always exciting to watch, especially when both KCL and UCL are putting out the strongest team.”

Men’s Captain – Ifkar Arifin, 2nd year, Psychology

“We’re determined not to lose to our rivals; it will be a hard fought contest, which will include smashes with speeds of up to 300km/h.

“Badminton is actually one of UCL’s largest societies with over 150 members. Within our team, there is an array of talent; we have ex Malaysian and Singaporean state players (very high level of badminton) as well as current county players. With a team as strong as ours, you will definitely see some high quality badminton and some powerful smashes with a boom.”

Basketball

Men’s Captain – Malin white, 2nd year, Economics

Malin asked: “Why waste your money going to an event you might lose, men’s basketball is money well spent? And as Sam Whittington, a member of ours senior squad, said: “basketball players have the best smiles and warmest hands.””

Women’s Captain – Megan Carrie-Wilson, 3rd year, Natural Sciences

“Fast-paced and fun, basketball has been considered the most intense sport in the world. Requiring minimal equipment and players but a high level of strength, endurance and skills, this sport, which unfortunately remains a minor sport in the UK, will engage the fans until the last second. The game can turn around at any time, even in the last 2 minutes. Nothing is certain until the last whistle blows.”

Basketball is taking place on March 6th at 2:30pm at the University of East London (E16), you can grab your tickets here.

Fencing

Men’s Captain – Matt Billing, 4th year PhD, Chemistry

(Third from right)

“The UCL men’s team will win varsity because we have a team that have fenced together for 3 years so we have experienced highs and lows. We are also on top form at the moment, having just beaten Oxford in the BUCS championship semi-final we are heading to the final in a couple of weeks. We are only the second team in UCLU history to do this, the first team was us two years ago!”

Women’s Captain – Letty Steer, Masters, Archaeology

(Middle)

Fencing Varsity takes place Saturday 5th of March at 1pm, it’s free to attend and is being hosted at Great Hall, The Strand.

Football

Women’s Captains – Sophie Britton, 3rd year, Natural Sciences and Christina Sofianos, 2nd year, Archaeology & Anthropology

They told The Tab: “Reeling from the devastating loss last year: UCL dominated the whole match but were robbed due to a shortened match, King’s parking the bus throughout and then straight to penalties. This year, with a full 90 minutes and a ruthless squad ready to shut down any King’s attack and run right through their defence. We are showing up to smash King’s and we want everyone there to.”

The game takes place from 6pm on 7th March in Imperial Fields, Morden. You can pick up your tickets here.

Hockey

Women’s Captain – Serafina Di Felice, 2nd year, Chemical Engineering

Serafina said: “Coming into this match from a lower league than King’s means we have nothing to lose and the girls will be putting everything they have into the match. Prepare to watch some UCL heart and soul being poured onto the pitch when we aim to cause the biggest upset of this varsity series.”

Men’s Captain – Fahim Khan, 3rd year, Biomedical Sciences

Fahim added: “We are the second largest Varsity event behind Rugby. It’s no surprise this year is bigger and better than the previous two seeing how the standard of hockey from both sides have improved over the years. Be prepared for one of the most competitive and thrilling games, the atmosphere will no doubt be electrifying and UCL is looking for a huge win this year.”

The match is the first of the series, being held at the Olympic Park pitch this Friday 4th March at 6pm. Theres a big crowd already of 300+ but tickets can still be bought from here.

Lacrosse

Men’s Captain – Jack Chaloner, 3rd Year, Arts & Sciences

Jack told The Tab: “If you want to watch the fastest sport on two feet featuring 100mph shots, big hits and International All Stars (admittedly Austria) come down and watch UCL get revenge after losing in overtime to Kings last year.”

The match is taking place at Honer Park Sports Ground (SE23) on the 8th of March at 7.30pm. Tickets can be bought here.

Women’s Captain – Nancy Morgan, 2nd Year, History 

“Lacrosse is growing as a university sport nationwide. Both UCL and KCL are doing well in their respective leagues but a varsity win would undoubtedly be the highlight of the season, so it will be a hard fought competitive match. We’ve been putting in the hours at training to ensure that we slay Kings. Plus, it’s cheaper than rugby.”

The women’s match is taking place just before the mens at 5.30pm, you can pick up your tickets here.

Netball

Captain – Marie-Claire Healey, 3rd year, Natural Sciences

Marie-Claire said: “UCL takes on KCL in Netball in an epic match to fight for the win. This year varsity rivalry is running higher than ever, there’s no telling who will come out on top so we need your support to help us get there. Get ready as both teams fight to the end for the winning goal.”

Rugby

Men’s Captain – Karl Nielsen, 3rd year, Economics

Credit: Dante Kim

Karl told us: “This year’s rugby varsity is back at the Allianz on Friday 11th March and is bigger and better than ever before. If you want to see the fierce UCL KCL rivalry fought out with the best atmosphere of any event then this is a match not to be missed. Ask anyone who has been in previous years and they will tell you that the fast-paced match and legendary after party (this year at Piccadilly Institute) make this the highlight of the student year. We’ve been training harder than ever to prepare, but now we need you to come down and support!”

Women’s Captain – Yuna Murayama, 3rd Year, Arts and Sciences

Yuna reckons they’re a great team to watch and next Friday will be no different: “Great sportsnite attendance, amazing players, great new kit, fancy footwork and gorgeous gals. We are not a team to miss, get down to Allianz Park for a 5pm kick off on Friday 11th March.”

You can get your tickets here, and they include entry to the after party.

RUMS Hockey

Men’s Captain – Harry Barber, 4th year, Medic

Harry’s on the left

“Come and watch RUMS take on GKT at the Olympic Park in what should be a thrilling match. There’ll be a bar, live commentary and big crowd to keep you company. Tickets can be bought here, and the  event is this Friday 5th March. The Women play at 7pm and the Men 8.45

RUMS Netball

Captain – Ria Mehta, 4th year, Medicine 

“Come watch RUMS Netball give it all they’ve got against GKT in their debut Varsity performance. Everyone loves an underdog!”

The match takes place on Sunday 6th of March from 10am. You can get tickets here.

Swimming

Captains – Hiro Harazawa, 3rd year, Geography and Ellen Trayhurn, 2nd year, Biological Sciences 

Ellen and Hiro told The Tab: “UCLU Swimming are back and stronger than ever. Currently holding the top spot in London League, everyone knows we are a force to be reckoned with. Don’t miss the chance to watch as we repeat last year’s dominating performance, and prove we are by far the best team in London.”

The gala takes place from 5.30pm on Saturday 5th of March at York Hall Leisure Centre, you can grab your tickets here. 

Tennis

Men’s Captain – Pedro Pereira, 2nd year, IT and Management

“I am a firm believer that Kings live in a constant world of Academic dissatisfaction, because UCL exist. Then, unfortunately for them, every year, around this time, they get reminded that academics aren’t the only attribute they lack in. UCL rule London sport. UCL Tennis isn’t in the Varsity Series to take part, we’re here to take over. Tell King’s, it’s OK, it’ll be over quick.”

Women’s Captain – Alice Scemama, 2nd year, Biology

Alice warned: “Who needs Wimbledon when you have London Varsity Tennis? Brace yourselves King’s, we’re not waiters, but boy, can we serve.”

Ultimate Frisbee

Captain – Ruth Kilsby, 2nd year, Geography

Ruth told The Tab: “Ultimate Frisbee may be relatively new to the UK but that does not mean that it will disappoint: Ultimate is a fast paced, competitive game and pretty different to any other sport you will have seen. And anyway, let’s be honest, you’re bored of watching sports that contain balls. So come support us as we fight to beat Kings!”

The match takes place at 5.30pm on 8th of March at Honer Park Sports Ground (SE23) at 5.30pm, and you can get tickets here.

Volley Ball

Captain – Santiago Martinez Sosa, 3rd Year,  Medicine, iBSc Neuroscience

Santiago told us: “Last year we smashed King’s in a dominating victory, made only difficult by their fantastic striker, Piotr Majorkowski. This year, however, Piotr is a UCL student. That being said, King’s have had a stroke of luck: Varsity this year coincides with our Super 8 BUCS finals, where we compete for the title of the best university squad in the UK. Thus, we’ll be putting forward a team consisting of players from our second team to face King’s, while we’re off competing at a level King’s can only dream of. In the end, it’ll make for an interesting match – come see what comes of it. #WeveGotPiotr

Volleyball Varsity takes place on Sunday the 6th of March at the University of East London (E16), starting at 2:30pm – you can get tickets here.

Varsity events will also be taking place in the sports of rowing, taekwondo and water polo. You can find out all the information here.