The best pictures from Pride in UCLU Sport Week

This is the most colourful article ever

In what was a proud week for UCL – in all senses of the word – last week saw the culmination of months of preparation by students for Pride in Sport Week.

The charge was led by Sports Officer Nick Edmonds in conjunction with Stonewall UK, UCLU Sport and the LGBT+ network, particularly Celia Willoughby and Andrew Tindall.

The week was designed to address phobia in sport as highlighted by NUS in their recent study which concluded 46.8 per cent of LGBT+ students who don’t take part in sport find the environment to be “alienating or unwelcoming”, 17 per cent of those who participate are not ‘out’ and 14.3 per cent had received abuse which prevented them from getting involved.

Last Wednesday countless sports teams wore rainbow laces for their Wednesday BUCS fixtures, whole clubs committed to the rainbow dress theme at Sports Night and on Thursday over 70 club representatives attended a panel discussion on how to tackle phobia in sport. This included men’s rugby, who have gone one step further this year by making stonewall the charity partner on their match day shirts, and lacrosse whose rainbow interclub tournament was a huge success.

Nick Edmonds, Sports Officer and Activities and Events Officer candidate in the upcoming elections, told The Tab: “It’s been great to see so many sports clubs, both RUMS and UCL, united in taking a stand against LGBT+ phobia in sport.

“With thousands of pounds raised for our charity partner stonewall, and an awareness campaign that has reached over 35,000 people, the week has been a great success, and it’s awesome to see the Rainbow laces we sported in BUCS fixtures on wednesday hit a national stage with the exchanging of these laces at Man Utd vs Arsenal at the weekend.

“With over 70 club representatives at the training event, the great majority of sports clubs are now Pride in Sport accredited which will help ensure greater inclusivity and accessibility for the future.”

Here are some of the highlights:

UCLU Women’s Football

UCLU Netball Club

UCLU Men’s Football

UCLU Women’s Rugby

UCLU Swimming Club

UCLU Lacrosse

UCLU Men’s Rugby

UCLU Pole Fitness

UCLU Hockey

SSEES AFC

Phobias in Sport Panel Discussion

Rainbow Wednesday

Sports Night